Monday 23 July 2007

Start of the summer hols...

The summer holiday for a private tutor basically means no work, sadly, so this summer I was going to follow on the YourMathsTutor 2007 Maths Workshops (which I'm happy to say seemed to go down really well with everyone) with some summer holiday science workshops. I was hoping to spend afternoons throughout the summer holiday with children on science projects - making foxhole radios, setting fire to things, explosions and that sort of thing - experiments that don't fit well into an hour's lesson. Really I wanted to do the sorts of experiments you should be allowed to do at school but thanks to health and safety (and perhaps sometimes a bit of laziness on the part of some teachers I've come across) children rarely get the chance to have a go at.

There was a lot of interest in this idea but unfortunately what with one thing and another going on through May and June this year I didn't get the chance to set this up. So instead, during the summer holiday lull, I'm going to be posting up to this blog projects that I'm carrying out both with the younger of my own children (to keep them off the streets) and with the few tutees that I am still seeing through the summer (I'm not going to be making anyone sit in front of a text book over the holidays - I'm not that cruel).

I Hope you enjoy having a go yourself. If you get stuck, or something doesn't make sense, or the experiment doesn't work, or it works first time (!) then please do post a comment. I'd love to hear how you get on.